Wednesday, March 6, 2013

social media



1. I tried the majority of the different social media in order to find relevant information on my topic dealing with anesthesia. In attempt to keep it broad, I just simply searched anesthesia to see what would come up. Facebook and Twitter were not very successful. A great deal of posts came up relating to anesthesia, but nothing medically relevant. Reddit and Newsvine were a little more productive in my research, but still nothing that really sparked my interest in the way of research.
2. The Social Medias that I use on a regular basis are Facebook and Pinterest. Facebook is my original social media that I use to keep in touch with people who I do not see on a regular basis. It gives me a way of seeing how their lives are going that I normally wouldn’t get to see through just a phone call or text message. It is also a way of learning about new friends whom you do not know much about yet. Pinterest is my new favorite social media. It is a community of mainly woman where ideas, pictures, jokes, fashion, and more are shared through people’s “pinboards” on their personal profile.

5 comments:

  1. Jessica, nice work with your searching, and great comment on Whitney's post as well. As I noted on Whitney's blog, there are certain categories of topics that aren't as easy to find good information through social media platforms, especially if you don't spend a lot of time navigating them.

    And for #2, many of us choose to use social media similar to the way you describe in our personal lives. Facebook especially is a great way to stay connected with those who might be very far from us geographically. But as you mention, the type of "keeping up" that we do through this medium is very different from 1 to 1 communication we would do through other channels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see how it might be difficult to find useful information on anesthesia using social media tools. I think Facebook, Twitter, and Newsvine are probably better for current events about anesthesia as opposed to the medical aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With social media, you can create a likable personality for your small business. Big companies spend thousands of dollars on branding. All you have to do is be yourself, post frequently and respond to your customers online.

    get Pinterest followers instantly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Presentation Feedback:

    As soon as you told your topic, I immediately fell in love with it. I think your topic is very interesting and relatable. I think at one point or another we all or will be put under anesthesia. In a way our topics relate because they both deal with medicine. I can also relate to not being able to find the most beneficial sources. Since you had trouble finding information on the advances for anesthesia I suggest looking on other sites, anything but GALILEO. Maybe newspaper articles or heath and surgery magazines will lean toward the advancements. Look for periodicals that are strictly geared toward medicine and I’m sure you will find something. I look forward to final presentation and seeing what you have come up with.

    ReplyDelete